[Xmca-l] Re: Activity Setting

Cliff, are you familiar with Jean Lave's book "Situated Learning"?

	I'm not, but it sounds like one I should take a look at.

It seems to me that "shared" participation in an activity is a precondition for attaining shared semantic, theoretical and practical norms, but not sufficient. It also depends on the social positions adopted by participants in the activity.

Yes, social positions are an important aspect of activity settings. As I mentioned previously, positions are one of the six components of activity settings we analyzed in the 1990 chapter. I would be most interested in any comments you have on that analysis. The purpose of the analysis was to show how these components could be used in community intervention.

	Cliff

Clifford R. O'Donnell, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus
Past-President, Society for Community Research and Action (APA Division 27)

University of Hawai‘i
Department of Psychology
2530 Dole Street
Honolulu, HI 96822