[Xmca-l] Re: Luria/Leontiev as inspirations for design

I am glad the paper as a whole still has relevance for you, Phillip. And it
is very interesting to know that reciprocal teaching/learning has spread.
Its a good practice implemented with some "feeling for the organism."

There may be various social ecologies for QAR. I have used it to great
effect in distance
classes where we share some reading and students take the various roles,
slightly modified to make them age/ability appropriate.

My local reason for posting the note was to point to what I think are
pretty clear expositions
of the key idea of the combined motor method and how it can be used, along
with the method of dual stimulation, both to provide an environment in
which pretty good diagnostic info comes to the instructor in the process of
teaching/learning that is the putative object of the activity.

For us at the time, the issue of Leontiev's "two kinds of motives" that
could be recruited in classrooms were part of the design of QAR. The
overall daily script stated with snacks and chatter about "what do you want
to do when you grow up" based on everyday news stories and popular culture.
The ensuing discussions provided merely understandable motives for engaging
in our somewhat bizarre game/stage play.But the reward for passing several
session-ending quizes with a perfect score and you could graduate and
become a Wizard's assisant and "help with the computers." That was a really
effective/proximal motive.

It seems reasonable or at leas "pragmatically justified" to assume that the
kids are not motivated to sit around reading during the afterschool hours
after failing at reading for the previous 6+ hours because they want to
grow up to be a fireman or a press agent.

I *think* this is a good early example of a theory and practice version of
chat. Or maybe
a prehistoric relic except for the old timers.
:-)
mike