[Xmca-l] understanding & Leontyev's activities

It seems to me that the meanings of understanding were not quite brought to
the fore (p.366, development of mind), footnote 2.

"Does the art of upbringing and education not consist in general in
creating a proper combination of 'understandable' and 'really effective'
motives, and at the same time in knowing how, in good time, to attach
greater significance to the successful result of activity so as to ensure a
transition to a higher type of the real motives governing the individual's
life?"

Whereby, it seems to me, that to have an under-standing is, effectively, to
appreciate a situation from a social standing, whereby the symbolic
rationale starts to take effect.

Or perhaps this was a bit too plum for the translator?

Best,
Huw