Re: Fw: [xmca] Luria on emotions

People might be interested in the attached review of a biography of Luria, by Anna Stetsenko. I find particular interest in the review in Anna's approach to the development of Luria's personality and the investigative work he was part of as *projects*. The review also gives helpful context to Luria's life-work.

Andyh

Haydi Zulfei wrote:
>From the book :

[[Although many
authors
studying
human behaviour
(normal) always attempted
to understand its
general structure, they
failed to do this when
they passed
over
to the
investigation
of such
processes
as
affect, conflict,
and
neurosis. To
investigate
in this
territory
the
existing structures,
to find lawfulness in
chaos,
of
course,
seemed far more
complicated and sometimes more or less senseless
;
and
confirming
"that
affectis a disease of the
mind,"
the
majority
of authors decided
not to examine it as a form of behaviour
obeying
its own
particular
law,
and were satisfied with a
simple description
of the
various
pathological
states.
When science attained the
possibility
of
studying objectively
psychological phenomena,
a new
phase
was
reached,
but in the
main there was no
improvement.
Such authors decided that to
speak
of
disorganisation
of behaviour as a
psychological subject
was
fairly difficult,
and that when the
person
"loses his
equilibrium" the behaviour falls under the influence of certain
physiological processes, losing
its
specific psychologically organised
character. The same
affect,
or
neurosis,
and this was still more
marked with
psychoses, began
to be considered as
physiological
or
pathological phenomena;
and in its
study they
considered
sufficient a
description
of the several
physiological symptoms
characterising
it. The
James-Lange theory
of emotion was the
theoretical
justification
of such a
capitulation
of
psychological
investigation
and the transfer of the whole domain of affect to
pure physiology.]]

... seems we still need Luria alive !

{{I've said this many times on the internet. War is a product of class

divided society, civilization.