Re: [xmca] From NYTimes: Brazil’s Leftist Ruling Party, Born of Protests, Is Perplexed by Revolt

Many thoughts on your summary of the situation from where you live and work,
David.

Here my most vivid impression after a year of teaching a "theory and
practice" course with more or less the same students..... a whole academic
year. It was a
great experience, but there is a huge gap between student expectations and
faculty
concerns. The students are terrified of the future. They see a long haul
from barista to barrister, or whatever their aims are.

They have learned, "mastered" in Jim Wertsch's sense, the melange of
theories that faculty use to analyse various forms of communication,
broadly construed. The faculty is in fashion these days in the range of
fields it draws upon. A lot of critical
theory.

They want jobs. Event planning, marketing, pr, advertising....... you know,
the kind of stuff a university SHOULD be teaching.("Why, look at San Diego
State down the road! They do a much better job of preparing us for our
futures than you do.")

As professionals when it came down to actually planning the real event
these students were, by and large, pros. And what didn't know, they had the
good sense to learn during this class: web skills, filming and editing
skills, blogging skills, all of which, they knew or believed they new, were
actually instrumental to shining at THE EVENT.

But linking events of the sort that people go to a lot of trouble of
planning, to any general principles of communication? Naw, that's not
possible! Makes for interesting teaching. I learned a lot. A syllabus on
"eventology" has been put together by
the class to present to the faculty.

So what? I cannot save them from their futures. I can try to prepare them
for
their futures, but they know a lot more about it than I do? Or a lot
differently.

The value of democracy? From what I see around me, democracy rides on the
back of either a full stomach, or at least the promise of a fuller stomach.
But if it comes down to one-person-vs one vote on the one hand, and a full
enough stomach on the other. people seem to be able to stomach some very
difficult forms of life.

The solution? Quien sabe?
mike