Re: [xmca] Just old Russians? Haydi and the Perfidy of Nations

Two things about that program.
On the program itself: when there were closeups on the kids faces,
transfixed by
what they were watching, it was impossible to tell who was Russian, who
American.
But when the camera pulled back, and the kids talked, the differences in
cultural
display and discourse styles smacks you in the face. Those performances
were not rehearsed. There was no time, just a brief window of opportunity
that we grabbed based on mutual trust among initiators.

A subsequent, much more elaborate program was planned for the following
year,
but shot down with KAL airliner over Siberia at the last moment.

About one of the consequences of the program. An opening to begin joint
research
among Soviet and American psychologist/educators as described in the so
called velham report.   http://lchc.ucsd.edu/Histarch/velham.html

Might we be witnessing an analogous, much more loosely organized, effort at
collaboration around ideas here on XMCA these days? If so, could it be made
more
effective?

mike