Re: [xmca] Engestrom's Finnish Proposal

and speaking to a crisis in education in physics, there are an increasing
number of Physics professors that have noted that college physics students
who do very well on tests often know very little of the CONCEPTS of
Physics. Eric Mazur at Harvard and David Hestenes at ASU are two leaders of
this. Below is a brief transcript of a radio program involving both of them
(full transcript at:
http://americanradioworks.publicradio.org/features/tomorrows-college/lectures/transcript.html

What is striking about this discussion at the college level is that it
seems to parallel at the college level what Schmittau and others have been
talking about at the elementary school level.

-greg

Back in the late 1970s a colleague had come to Hestenes with a problem. The
students in his introductory physics courses were not doing well - semester
after semester, the class average on his exams never got above about 40
percent.

*Hestenes:* And I noted that the reason for that was that his examination
questions were mostly qualitative, requiring understanding of the concepts
rather than just calculational, using formulas, which is what most of the
instructors did.

This prompted a series of conversations about the difference between being
able to solve problems and really understanding the concepts behind those
problems. Hestenes and his colleague had a sneaking suspicion students were
just learning the problem-solving part, and never really getting the
concepts. Eventually Hestenes, along with a graduate student, decided to
develop a test to probe students' conceptual understanding of physics. Here
is the first question, read by University of Maryland physics professor Joe
Redish.

*Redish:* Two balls are the same size but one weighs twice as much as the
other. The balls are dropped from the top of a two-story building at the
same instant of time. The time it takes the ball to reach the ground will
be: About half as long for the heavier ball; about half as long for the
lighter ball; about the same time for both; considerably less for the
heavier but not necessarily half as long; considerably less for the lighter
but not necessarily half as long.

If your head is spinning, you're not alone. This is a fundamental concept
in physics but even some people who've taken physics courses get this
question wrong.

*Redish:* So let's do this by going up to the second floor.

Redish walks up the stairs of the University of Maryland physics building
and opens a window *[sound of window opening]*. A group of his students is
on the sidewalk below.

*Redish:* Are we ready?
*Students:* Five, four, three, two, one - oh ho!

The two balls reach the ground at the same time. Sir Isaac Newton is the
first person who figured out why, back in the 1600s. He came up with a law
of motion to explain how two balls of different weights, dropped from the
same height, hit the ground simultaneously.

*Mazur:* Most students know Newton's second law, "f equals m-a." Force
equals mass times acceleration.

This is Harvard professor Eric Mazur again. He says while most physics
students can recite Newton's law and even use it correctly to solve
problems, the conceptual test developed by David Hestenes and his graduate
student at Arizona State shows that most physics students never really
understand what the law means, or how to apply it to real world situations.
Hestenes first gave the test - now known as the Force Concept Inventory -
to about 1,000 students in introductory physics courses taught by seven
different instructors at two different schools. Students took the test at
the beginning of the semester. Perhaps not surprisingly, they didn't do
very well. They took the test again at the end of the semester. And they
still didn't do very well. Their scores went up by only about 14 percent -
meaning that after an entire semester, they understood only about 14
percent more about the fundamental concepts of physics than they had at the
beginning.