[xmca] Knotworking (ex: Double stimulation?)

Hello Greg,

Sorry it took a while to respond to your inspiring question. I guess the
authors themselves would be better to answer your question but I'll give a
try.

In the study, knotworking was mainly used as an intentional response to the
problems of work that were in the focus of the change lab or emerged as its
consequence. After all, the interventionists proposed the concepts of knot
and knotworking as second stimuli, and explained these concepts to the
librarians in the beginning of the intervention. The project was even
called “Knotworking in the Library.”

In another published study about the project, Engeström, Rantavuori, and
Kerosuo (2013, Expansive Learning in a Library: Actions, Cycles and
Deviations from Instructional Intentions) make an argument that knotworking
(corresponding to co-configuration type of production) was not a usual way
of working in the library:

"In academic libraries two types of work exist simultaneously; craft-like
work on collections and standardized mass production with customers. This
means that academic libraries are focused on taking care of collections of
physical books and journal as well as streamlining standardized services
for the individual clients, particularly for the students. Academic
libraries are not used for the collective and mutual co-creation and
co-configuration of services with their clients. Furthermore, they are used
to instruct their clients, not negotiate with them."

Another quote from Engeström, Rantavuori and Kerosuo (2013) highlights why
the interventionists thought the knotworking would be appropriate:

"Our preparatory analysis led us to assume that the present object of the
library’swork with researchers was an individual researcher’s discrete
request for publications or publication-related information. The needed new
object would be a long-term partnership with a research group needing
support in the management of data, publishing, and following the global
flow of publications. This new object would require a new division of
labor, new competences, and a new organization model for the library. Not
all services that would meet these emerging needs were yet there. They
needed to be co-constructed and continuously reconfigured in flexible
knotworking between librarians and research groups"

Thus, knotworking was intentionally introduced by the interventionists, and
taken up by the librarians. Originally, the knotworking was intended as a
way of working between the librarians and their customers, the research
groups. But, as the intervention evolved, a version of knotworking was
developed for organizing the librarians internal cooperation. In the latter
form, knotworking involved crossing traditional boundaries of hierarchy.
Again a quote from Engeström, Rantavuori and Kerosuo (2013):

"Perhaps more importantly, the librarians worked out and began to implement
in practice their own version of the idea of knotworking as a concept
to guide the long-term development of the library’s organization and way of
working"

Greg, I interpret that knotworking was thus an intentional response (your
first usage) to societal circumstances that were beyond the control of the
participants (your second usage). Yet, I guess whether the circumstances
are fortunate or unfortunate depends on the perspective. In this
intervention, I was helping with the data collection in the project, and I
remember the library director saying something like unless the librarians
transform their work, their work will not exist in the future. In a way, at
least a bit of determinism was involved.

Thinking about positive and negative, I am reminded of what Engeström,
Engeström and Vähäaho (1999, When the center does not hold: The importance