Re: [xmca] Soft Power and Collective Sense Making

On 18 May 2013 13:57, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huw, Christine,
> Your commentary on the article is circling around the questions I have on
> the *unit of analysis* - positioning.
> Christine, your interpretation of *soft power* AS *interpretation* shifts
> the conversation to more open or free dialogic engagements, less logically
> differentiated and determined placing of persons.
> Huw, your comment,
> " in order for this dialogic encounter to be the actual site of the work
> .... these gambits need to be *appreciated* by  all concerned as not
> infringing on their *valuation* of the content (planning) -- otherwise the
> meeting becomes a formality of presenting planning which is done elsewhere"
> also shifts the focus and foregrounds the interpretive dimension of *soft
> power*

The main point, for me, is that there is a deliberate elasticity in the
instruction dynamic -- which is referred to here as soft power.  This seems
necessary in order to include the motives of the participants.  Hence
leontiev's contribution is still implicated.

Soft systems views (interpretive dimension) is different to soft power,
here.  Soft power is simply referring to a more free-form conjoint
establishment of authority.

Huw