RE: [xmca] self-regulation

Message from Francine:
Both Greg and I have overlooked something that would have beenobvious to Vygotsky. Deaf does not necessarily mean mute -deaf people can acquire speech (isn't that what Alexander Graham Bellwas focused on teaching?) Vygotsky is focused on the use of speech asa motor function (not on just hearing  someone else's spoken language).
Also, Vygotsky's focus was on the function (Mental Functions) not linguistic structure(as in Chomsky).Greg made a good point when he said that spoken language and the written word can have its origin in resemblance (phonetically Mama is believed by some to have originated in the smacking sounds of the infant when breastfeeding - 1920'swrittings of psychoanalyst Sabina Spielrein) and (as a visual image the letter 'm' suggeststhe two maternal breasts). At a subliminal level the word mama can still be triggeringthese depth psychological meanings (McDonald's Golden Arches).
But there is an entire research literature (that figures prominent psychologists likeJerome Bruner) that explores how conceptual thought develops from such proto-symbols.Even if you have a symbol (or sign in Piaget's terminology) that has no resemblanceat all to the referent, it does not mean it is functioning to designate a 'concept' ratherthat an action, event, or object. Let's take the infant's use of  'wawa'  to designatewater -  the concept of water (whether at a phenomenological level or scientific level)is an abstraction, saying wawa or water simply as a label for water is only a step in thedevelopment of the concept of water (which is an historical-cultural construct).