[xmca] AERA panels

[I hope you won't mind this bit of shameless Self-(and Other-!)promotion
here.]

I'm on two panels at AERA on Tuesday (with lots of other CHAT/XMCA
affiliated folks).

Since both of my panels are not in CHAT-sig sessions, I though I'd mention
some quick details (sundry details are pasted below):

First panel is:
The Dance of Stance: Affective/Epistemic Stance and the Problem of
Interiority in Pedagogical Encounters
Tue., Apr. 30 - 5:05-6:35
Bldg: Parc 55 - Second Level - Haight
Discussant: Jay Lemke
Panelists: Adam Lefstein / Julia Snell, Kevin O'Connor / Louisa Harris,
Lynda Stone, and yours truly

Second panel is:
Participation, Performance, and Process: Innovative Methods for Engaging
and Researching with Youth
Tue., Apr. 30 - 10:20-11:50am
Bldg.: Grand Hyatt - Theatre Level - Orpheum
Panelists: Anne M. Galletta, Valerie A. Futch, Hanna Jones / Ben R.
Kirshner, and last but not least, c'est moi.

I think that this second (but earlier) panel will be of interest to many
CHAT/MCA folk - particularly because of the focus on Youth Participatory
Action Research (YPAR) - research in which (as the name suggests), the
youth are active participants in DOING the research. I'll be doing a goofy
little paper on play, but the other very thoughtful papers are focused on
YPAR.

Anyway, it would be really wonderful to meet folks from the CHAT/XMCA world
that I have only known through email. (and I hope to meet people at the
CHAT-sig business meeting on Tue. night as well!).

Very best,
greg

SUNDRY DETAILS FOLLOW
FIRST PANEL:

*Title Displayed in Event Calendar: *The Dance of Stance:
Affective/Epistemic Stance and the Problem of Interiority in Pedagogical
Encounters<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+View+Program+Load+Box+To+View&program_box_id=138594&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Scheduled Time:* Tue Apr 30 2013, 5:05 to
6:35pm<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+View+Program+Load+Scheduled+Times&schedule_day=2013-04-30+18%3A35%3A00&highlight_box_id=138594&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1#box_tag>
  *Building/Room:* Parc 55, Second Level - Haight

Abstract

Employing a sociocultural approach, this symposium analyzes
teaching/learning encounters with the linguistic anthropological notion of
“stance”. The five papers in this symposium show the crucial role that
“stance” plays in the work of learning as it occurs in five very different
teaching/learning encounters, including: a kindergarten classroom, a high
school test-prep tutoring session, a college engineering class, an
upper-primary literacy lesson, and a tele-mentored physics lesson of a high
schooler. These papers additionally demonstrate that “stance” is a useful
analytic for educational researchers because it provides a relational,
social, and emergent perspective on what have traditionally been seen as
static, individual, and reified phenomena such as psychological states and
traits, and because it provides novel insights into how learning happens.

*Managing the Affective, Cognitive, and Aesthetic Dimensions of Dialogic
Teaching<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=620498&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
 (download<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?cmd=Download+Document&key=view_paper_file&file_index=1&pop_up=true&no_click_key=true&attachment_style=inline&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
)*

Julia Snell (King's College London -
julia.snell@kcl.ac.uk.)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3036968&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
, Adam Lefstein (Ben Gurion University of the Negev -
lefstein@bgu.ac.il)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3140223&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Affect as a Resource for Regulating
Learning<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=620499&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Lynda D. Stone (California State University - Sacramento -
lstone@csus.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3100736&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Affective and Epistemic Stance and Appeals for Assistance in a Tutoring
Session<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=620500&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Greg Thompson (University of California - San Diego -
greg.a.thompson@gmail.com)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3137522&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Stance as a Resource for Constructing and Contesting Engineering
Identities<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=620501&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Kevin O'Connor (University of Colorado - Boulder -
kevin.oconnor@colorado.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3141085&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
, Louisa Harris (University of Colorado - Boulder -
Louisa.Harris@colorado.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3138408&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

Chair: Greg Thompson (University of California - San
Diego)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3137522&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
 greg.a.thompson@gmail.comChair: Lynda D. Stone (California State
University - Sacramento)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3100736&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
 lstone@csus.eduDiscussant: Jay L. Lemke (University of California - San
Diego)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3065882&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
 jalemke@ucsd.edu

SECOND PANEL:
Sponsor:

SIG-Out-of-School Time

Schedule Information:

*Scheduled Time:* Tue Apr 30 2013, 10:20 to
11:50am<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+View+Program+Load+Scheduled+Times&schedule_day=2013-04-30+11%3A50%3A00&highlight_box_id=138286&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1#box_tag>
  *Building/Room:* Grand Hyatt, Theatre Level - Orpheum
*Title Displayed in Event Calendar: *Participation, Performance, and
Process: Innovative Methods for Engaging and Researching With
Youth<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+View+Program+Load+Box+To+View&program_box_id=138286&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

Abstract

What is the role of voice and agency in work with youth? How can
collaborative and participatory methods more effectively address issues of
inequality in youth experiences? In this interactive session we present
four projects with after-school programs that engage these questions to
argue that youth-centered methods and a critical inquiry of youth “voice”
offer important lenses for understanding a range of inequalities that exist
in the lives of youth and that out-of-school spaces offer a unique setting
for studying these topics. Recognizing that poverty stems primarily from
imbalances of power, we suggest that voice and participation are valuable
tools for addressing such imbalances and invite the audience to engage in a
dialogue around the challenges inherent in such work.

Session Participants:

*Playing With Voice in
Adolescence<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=618333&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Greg Thompson (University of California - San Diego -
greg.a.thompson@gmail.com)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3137522&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*“What Happened to Our Sense of Justice?” Agency, Inquiry, and Action in a
Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR)
Project<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=618334&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Anne M. Galletta (Cleveland State University -
a.galletta@csuohio.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3097440&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Dancing to the Beat of Different Drums? Exploring Process in a Youth
Participatory Evaluation
Project<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=618335&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Valerie A Futch (University of Virginia -
vfutch@virginia.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3279887&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

*Variations in Youth Explanations of Success and Failure: A Critical
Perspective on Student
Voice<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Search+Load+Publication+For+Extra&publication_id=618336&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
*

Hannah Jones (University of Colorado - Boulder -
joneshr21@gmail.com)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3127286&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
, Ben R. Kirshner (University of Colorado -
ben.kirshner@colorado.edu)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3141058&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>

Chair: Valerie A Futch (University of
Virginia)<http://convention2.allacademic.com/one/aera/aera13/index.php?click_key=1&cmd=Multi+Search+Load+Person&people_id=3279887&PHPSESSID=ve8b4o2ur0skhglsna6cq4f9o1>
 vfutch@virginia.edu