Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Dilthey?: Why V was critical towards D?

Thanks for all these Dilthey-Vygotsky leads.

It makes much sense that Vygotsky would not have been fond of the Dilthey's
Dualism. But, turning back to what prompted the association in the first
place, if perezhivanie is a translation of the German erlebnis, then whose
erlebnis is Vygotsky translating?

Perhaps whomever was using it before Dilthey?

Who might that be?

Below I've pasted a paragraph from an essay on erlebnis that describes
Gadamer's tracing of the origins of the term. (Larry?). The author argues
that Gadamer says that Dilthey "coined" it, but that it was a coalescing of
ideas from others, Kant and Rousseau in particular.

If, as Anton posits, perezhivanie is a direct translation of erlebnis, then
did Vygotsky just "poach" this from Dilthey's oeuvre while rejecting
Dilthey's main tenets?

Personally, I don't have anything against intellectual poaching (which I
would define as taking an element of someone's theory without "buying into"
the whole), but it does make for an interesting story...
And more importantly, it may be helpful for understanding perezhivanie.

-greg

"Gadamer's history of Erlebnis is at the same time a recognition of its
vitality as an idea, and I can only briefly outline this rich philological
exercise. The various dispersed elements that were to make up Erlebnis
coalesced for a period of time and only eventually came together as a kind
of cultural leitmotif. Kant gave an early impetus to the idea by developing
the idea of *Lebensgefuhl,* the "heightening of the feeling of life."
Rousseau, who portrayed the uniqueness of his inmost self as the best
evidence of Nature, was also a seminal influence. It was Rousseau's
opposition of the world of inner experience to Enlightenment rationalism
that inspired Dilthey to coin the term. Its roots in biographical
literature explain a great deal about its character, particularly in the
way that an experience carries with it and is attached to the whole of a
life: "Every act, as an element of life, remains connected with the
infinity of life that manifests itself in it" (Gadamer, TM, 64). Dilthey
speaks of this in the relation between biography and history: "Everything
that I experience or could experience constitutes (a nexus or system). Life
is a process which is connected into a whole through a structural system
which begins and ends in time." Gadamer will lay claim to this crucial
appropriation of the doctrine of part and whole. His treatment of Erlebnis
begins as a linguistic history, catching at the double meaning at the root
of the concept to explain its extraordinary power. The verb "erleben" in
the first instance means "to be alive when something happens," and thus
speaks to the immediacy of the moment of experience. The form "das Erlebte"
refers to the permanent result of what is experienced, relating the
transience of undistinguished life to the achievement of permanence in
certain experiences. The fruitfulness of this dual derivation is that the
word is able to refer simultaneously to the two aspects of experience as a
conceptual matrix: "Something becomes an 'experience' not only insofar as
it is experienced, but insofar as its being experienced makes a special
impression that gives it lasting importance" (TM, 61). The entanglement of
these two aspects of the same experience has an ontological consequence,
because it lays claim to the relationship of every act to the whole of
experience that surrounds it."

The full article is at: http://www.janushead.org/3-1/jarthos.cfm