RE: [xmca] Vygotsky and Dilthey? Perzhivanie and Erlebnis?

Hi Greg,

Dilthey I believe knew and praised James work.  James in turn I believe suggested to George Mead that he go to Europe and study with Dilthey (where he never actually got his Ph.D).  Mead after his return from Europe became Dewey's closest intellectual confidant.  It's all very incestuous I think and difficult to sort out who influenced who - but definitely important ties between Dilthey and American Pragmatism.

Michael
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Greg Thompson [greg.a.thompson@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:08 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Vygotsky and Dilthey? Perzhivanie and Erlebnis?

Just making connections a propos of Anton's mention that perezhivanie is a
direct translation of the German erlebnis.

I was recently reading The Anthropology of Experience in which Edward
Bruner looks to link anthropology, through Victor Turner, to Dilthey and
his important concept "erlebnis".

Vygotsky certainly would have known about Dilthey, no?

-greg

p.s. I also wonder if Dilthey would have been a significant influence on
Dewey and his notion of "experience"?

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor