Re: [xmca] Pivot or Carrier in play?

This is all very helpful, thank you:

Is стимул-средство what Vygotsky uses in the following paragraph from the
chapter on play, or another word, and is стимул-средство is best translated
as a type of tool?  Which type -- ?

"Thought is separated from objects because a piece of wood begins to be a
doll and a stick becomes a horse. Action according to rules begins to be
determined by ideas, not by objects. This is such a reversal of the child’s
relationship to the real, immediate, concrete situation that it is hard to
evaluate its full significance. The child does not do this all at once. It
is terribly difficult for a child to sever thought (the meaning of a word)
from object. Play is a transitional stage in this direction. At that
critical moment when a stick – i.e., an object – becomes a pivot for
severing the meaning of horse from a real horse, one of the basic
psychological structures determining the child’s relationship to reality is
radically altered."

Beth

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Bella Kotik-Friedgut <bella.kotik@gmail.com