Re: [xmca] Project

Brecht,

I can understand why Andy is interested in movements of protest and revolution. Here's a longer list from his webpage:

"the spontaneous uprising, the secret society, the class-based movement, the mutual aid association, the (Paris) Commune, the mass political party, the (Soviet) Government, popular or united front, national liberation front, the new social movements (such as the Civil Rights and Women’s Movements), the more ephemeral protest movements, identity politics and, more recently, alliance politics."

However, to treat these as illustrations or examples of a fundamental unit of activity leads to a non-dialectical treatment of the 'negation' that any project involves. Yes, protest and revolution are forms of negation (so is selling a *new* product, or starting a *new* war; notice the emphasis). But there is also negation in reproduction. To engage in a quotidian project of simply getting food on the table (in order to eat it with a fork and enjoy it with company, for sure) requires a negation of the current circumstances. It requires struggle against the 'practico-inert' (I'll follow you in appropriating Sartre's term).

But these reproductive projects get no attention in Andy's analysis. And the consequence is that the reproductive aspect of even a revolutionary project gets overlooked. Strikers have to eat, and they have to sleep, right? That means that successfully organizing a strike requires attention to this facticity of human being.

Martin