Re: [xmca] Project

Hi Lubomir,

I can see why Barker interests you, given your emphasis on spatiality. That's what he conveys so clearly, I think, the way that activity (although he does treat it as behavior) is distributed in important and interesting ways through space. I have the image of his team of observers racing after their focal child as he sped along on his bicycle!

Space, or perhaps the better word is place. (As many people have suggested.) Can we say 'placialization'? Probably not! I learned a lot about Marx from David Harvey, a social geographer, whose accounts of social reworking of space and time you probably know. And visiting indigenous communities in Colombia has sharpened my appreciation of the importance of land, territory, in supporting human life, and a better understanding of why the struggle for land rights continues to play an important part in many countries.

How do you, then, put the spatiotemporal organism in play, in its activity setting? Conceptually, I mean.

Martin