Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Helena

Andy points out in his book (An interdisciplinary theory of activity) that
people may work for arts sake, but they may have a utilitarian motive for
their work, for example working for the money. I think you may be in
agreement with this.

Carol

On 28 March 2013 00:20, Helena Worthen <helenaworthen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Martin --
>
> Apologies for lurking, following by cryptic/petulant message.
>
> The point being that the same action can, depending on what activity
> system you're looking at it from, mean two very different things. And they
> can be in conflict, ranging from a cool, subdued conflict, to a very hot
> one. Specifically (since my interest lies in how people negotiated decent
> conditions of work), someone can be doing a job for the purpose of earning
> a living, and care not one whit about what the industry is (could be
> weaving cloth, making bombs, dumping garbage pails in a restaurant,
> grading papers). Or the person can be doing a job for the purpose of doing
> the job. Most studies of the workplace assume that people at work are
> working for the purpose that the firm/company/enterprise/industry is set
> up for. When they overlook the possibility that two very different,
> sometimes conflicting activities are taking place (an activity system
> defined by motive/purpose), then they can't discern how people are
> feeling, how they're learning to do the job, how they're managing their
> effort, etc etc.
>
> Thanks for asking.
>
> Helena
>
> On 3/27/13 1:42 PM, "Martin Packer" <packer@duq.edu> wrote:
>
> >Hi Helena,
> >
> >Which point are you referring to? There have been so many!
> >
> >Martin
> >
> >On Mar 27, 2013, at 1:13 PM, Helena Worthen <helenaworthen@gmail.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Hello -- Exactly my point in my MCA article on using AT to study work.
> >>
> >> Helena Worthen
> >> Hworthen@illinois.edu

> http://wwwpsy.uni-muenster.de/Psychologie.inst5/AEHolodynski/index.html

Carol A  Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Developmental psycholinguist: EMBED
Academic, Researcher, Writer and Editor
Honorary Research Fellow: Department of Linguistics, Unisa