Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

On 17 March 2013 12:15, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Robert, if I were to suggest that "mirror neurons" are a metaphyical
> belief which have no more basis in existence than phlogiston or ether,
> would that actually change anything? Have you ever been misled by the
> mistaken observation of "mirror neuron" activity, or has observation of a
> mirror neuron ever explained some otherwise inexplicable event? So far as I
> know, leaving aside surgical intervention, neurons only react to other
> neurons by direct electrochemical interaction.
> Andy

There's theoretical room for the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum, e.g.
optics.    I think Robert is referring to the whites of the eyes phenomena
observed in monkey(?) brain scans.

In this sense its ontological status is that one can draw a dotted line
around a scan image etc and name it.

As far as the autism line of reasoning goes, I guess its akin to the
phenomena of blindness in children who have (unfortunately) have had a
patch over their eye during particular neurological developments whereby
they are later unable to see out of what looks like a perfectly functioning
eye.

I will leave it to Robert to speculate on the social genesis of its
systemic relevance...

Best,
Huw