Re: [xmca] A Concrete Psychological Investigation of Ifá Divination

On 17 March 2013 00:29, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> Huw, can you take another shot at explaining your question to me? I'll see
> if I can apply this research as an example.

Certainly.

Let's take our theoretical starting point with functional relations,
whereby we can schematize two kinds of appreciations: normative ones based
upon socially mediated experience and relational ones based upon an active
reconfiguration of this experience.  As you refer to with Vygotsky'y (1986)
paper (which I haven't been able to get hold of yet), the subject can
switch between constellations/configurations -- (e.g. I can have my wit or
I can be somewhat numb to events and not actively reflect on them).

So, the idea goes, I can talk about things in a normative way, referring to
things more or less "as is", or as an alternative I can engage with these
recollections in a different way by, for instance, actively exploring the
borders of these norms/prototypes in appreciating particular relations
(scientific conceptions).

In a "clean" situation, we might then perceive patterns in the
communication indicating the current configuration (but this patterning
would, perhaps, be best observed morphologically in juxtaposition with
morphological changes with conceptual competencies too).

Generalisations aside, does that make sense?

Huw