Re: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

Andy,

Your comment:

I don't deny that "meaning" has taken on a certain usage and is widely
taken to be the attribute of a word or phrase and found in a dictionary,
but I think as a scientist I prefer to see such things as objectifications
of the primary source which is human speech/speaking. I think the same
distinctions can be discovered in perezhivanija, experiences and so on.

As a scientist what do you think of Dewey's understanding that science is
the handmaiden of aesthetics [which means an intensifying experience of
life]

On page 16, Tom Leddy in the Stanford article Mike sent translates Dewey's
understanding of being TRULY alive:

"Rather than giving art primacy in aesthetic, Dewey believes that humans
only feel properly alive when absorbing the aesthetic FEATURES of nature.
Aesthetic experience of the natural environment can even take the FORM of
*ecstatic communion*.  This is due to ancient habits gained in the
relations between the living being and its environment. Sensuous experience
can absorb into itself meanings and values that are DESIGNATED 'ideal' or
'spiritual'.  Dewey observes that belief that nature is full of spirits is
closely tied to POETRY.  The sensuous surfaces of things INCORPORATE not
only what is given to the senses but the most profound INSIGHT.  Many of
the arts ORIGINATE in primitive rituals which were not simply intended as
means to get rain, etc. but for the ENHANCEMENT OF THE EXPERIENCE.
Similarly myth was not just an early form of science." [Leddy, p.16]

Andy, as a scientist, are the practises of science intended to creatively
and ideally participate in the reenchantment of the world?.

Ivo introducing Gendlin, notions of vivencia, Merleau Ponty's notion of
*singing thw world* all are invitations addressing us to imagine the
rhythmical flow and pulsing of life reenchanted.  Modernity may have been a
*wrong turn* and we are in a *revolution* [not as turning away from history
but as a returning to history]  Ancient Greece often is returned to in
philosophy. Why?  Because the texts of that epoch were expressing the
experience of intensified life. It was an aesthetic epoch.

Just thinking out loud but hopeing to participate in further *minding* and
*eventing* as "collaborative projects" of revolution and return.

Larry