RES: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

Andy, what is the reference?

Joao

-----Mensagem original-----
De: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] Em nome
de Andy Blunden
Enviada em: terça-feira, 19 de fevereiro de 2013 12:23
Para: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Assunto: Re: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

What about this one Larry?

        ?Experience? is what James called a double-barreled word. Like
        its congeners, life and history, it includes /what/ men do and
        suffer, /what/ they strive for, love, believe and endure, and
        /how/ men act and are acted upon, the ways in which they do and
        suffer, desire and enjoy, see, believe, imagine ? in short,
        processes of /experiencing/. ... It is ?double-barreled? in that
        it recognizes in its primary integrity no division between act
        and material, subject and object, but contains them both in an
        unanalyzed totality. ?Thing? and ?thought?, as James says in the
        same connection, are single-barreled; they refer to products
        discriminated by reflection out of primary experience (1929 PJD:
        256-7).

Andy