RE: Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Gordon Craig's Hamlet

Martin--

Many thanks for the files. I'd read about Kaoru Osanai, but now I've read him, and he's very eloquent. But very wrong.

Yaroshevsky, Kozulin, and even van der Veer and Valsiner all seem to think that Vygotsky was (or would have been--there is some debate about whether Vygotsky actually saw the production) entirely on Craig's side--he would have seen the play as a monodrama, a mystery play in which only Hamlet is a real person and all the other figures are in his mind, and he would have rejected the social-realist approach of Stanislavsky, in which Hamlet's a story about the fragility of real people.

This is weird, because we know that Vygotsky DID see the Second Moscow Art Theatre production, which was based on the first and which in some ways was even more religious and mystical. Vygotsky is really scathing about it (Psychology of Art 172--173): he says it removes all the complexity and makes Hamlet into an action hero.

Of course, it's possible that  the Second Moscow Art Theatre production was altered in favor of the Stanislavskian interpretation. But it sounds a lot more like Craig's interpretation: the religiosity, the treatment of Ophelia as a coarse, middle class, gold-digging woman, possibly a prostitute, and the idea that Claudius is evil incarnate are all non-Shakespearean ideas that Craig introduced.

I think that what disgusts Vygotsky is the idea that Hamlet is a simple play about matter and flesh, about good and evil. Hamlet is really not a simple play and the various parts of it don't make sense when you simplify it. Hamlet acts with incredible cruelty and Claudius with genuine humility and generosity. Laertes is a noble youth and Hamlet an arrant braggart. And the death of Ophelia, a beautiful and innocent person who Hamlet toys with and repulses for the sake of his silly ideas about vengeance is the most poignant and moving tragedy of the tragedy. Shakespeare--and Vygotsky--do not want to give us a comforting revenge thriller. Shakespeare--and Vygotsky--want to hold Hamlet up to us and say, "This is your brain on life".

Take the play scene, just for example. Why the dumb show? Why is Hamlet agitated at the prologue? There's a good explanation. Hamlet wants to kill the king, but he has no proof of the king's guilt. If the king reacts strongly to the play, this will be proof for Hamlet but not for anybody else, because only Hamlet knows the details of the murder (this is EXACTLY Luria's technique in Chapter Three of "The Nature of Human Conflicts").

Hamlet has to make sure that the king's reaction is ONLY to the mention of the murder weapon. But the players over-egg the pudding: first they threaten to give it away with the dumbshow (but fortunately Claudius is distracted by Polonius) and then they are going to give it away with a prologue (but fortunately the prologue is totally incoherent and self-indulgent, a kind of charicature of the Craig version!) So the Mousetrap really does work (unlike Luria's versions!).

But what is Hamlet to do now? If he kills the king, he's a usurper, and if he tries to explain he may not be believed and if he is believed his mother is disgraced forever. The obvious thing to do is to taunt Claudius with his knowledge, and  provoke Claudius into striking first and then kill him in self-defense. The problem is that Claudius is too smart for that; he goes after Hamlet with cat's paws: first Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and then Laertes.

So the duel scene. But this too is grossly oversimplified in Craig: the rapiers are simply exchanged in the scrum, which makes no dramatic sense at all; it will only work for generations of play goers who don't take the play seriously as a story. What really has to happen is much more complicated than that, and completely lost if you try to treat it as a monodrama.

Hamlet tries to win over Laertes. (Vygotsky is completely wrong on p. 187 when he claims that Shakespeare does not prepare us for Laertes' belated change of heart; this is a "revenge" play that is all about forgiveness). Then, astonishingly, Hamlet wins two rounds and draws one. Now it is almost impossible for Laertes to win, because he has a handicap of three hits already. Laertes' only hope is to make Hamlet thirsty so he will drink. That doesn't work either--Hamlet knows that if he drinks he will sweat more and this might blind him (ALL this is in Shakespeare's script!). Gertrude, vicariously thirsty from mopping Hamlet's brow, drinks--and now Laertes knows he HAS to kill Hamlet before the queen keels over and the plot is revealed to everybody. So he CHEATS. They lock swords and are separated, and as they are being separated, --"Have at you!"

Now the penny drops. Hamlet realizes that there is an unbated foil in the mix, and he wants it. So he DROPS his own foil and twists the foil of Laertes out of his hand. Then he waits while Laertes scrambles to retrieve the bated foil that Hamlet offers him. The king realizes that Hamlet is now armed and dangerous and tries to stop the fight even as he tried to stop the play. Hamlet insists, and it's all over in a second. As Laertes and Gertrude both die, Hamlet is given exactly what he needs to kill the king--clear public proof that it was the king who struck first.

So, as Vygotsky points out, the king must die twice--not for his murder of Hamlet the elder (if anything, Hamlet the elder is the big loser, because his enemy's surviving son will be the next king). The king must die for his plot against Hamlet's life and for his murder of the queen. That is how the public must see it, and that is exactly what we and they see when Horatio tells the story to Fortinbras.

This is not my explanation; it's the work of Dover Wilson and about a dozen other scholars. But it is the only one that fits the actual play script as we now have it. The problem, of course, is precisely that we do not have Shakespeare's stage designs or even his directing; all of these have to be reconstructed from his script. That was what Stanislavsky wanted to do, and that's exactly what Craig didn't want.

I think that Craig wanted the play to have only ONE real character. But Stanislavsky was far more realistic: he knew that psychologically, OTHER people seem real and it is ourselves that seem unreal. So Stanislavsky--and also Vygotsky--wanted a play in which OTHER characters are stable and coherent, and Hamlet alone changes. Not because a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds, but because that's what development feels like.

David Kellogg

Hankuk University of Foreign Studies