Re: [xmca] Vygotsky and Gordon Craig's Hamlet

Good question, Mike, but in order to answer it, I guess, a serious research would need to be done,

besides, it is hardly a topic for a brief note, but rather a fundamental scholarly paper. Thus, I would

comment on only some issues.

A comment on Yaroshevskii.He might have been quite efficient in propagating the "oppressed science" for roughly half century--
from his earlier 1952 paper on "Cyberntics is the science of obscurantists" (Kibernetika - nauka mrakobesov)

until his later exercises in censoring and distorting Vygotsky in 1970s-1980s and, finally and somewhat ironically,

actually introducing the ludicrous phrase the "oppressed science" (repressirovannaia nauka)  in 1990s.

Given the extent of his familiarity with Vygotsky, his actual writings and ideas, and the distorted image of Vygotsky

that has emerged in large part due to his editorial work of the six-volume collected works of Vygotskii, --

I believe, the validity of his scholarly research and writing on Vygotsky is considerably undermined.

As to intellectual landscape of contemporary Russia, I would characterize is as 'void'. How else could I characterize it

given that one of the dominant theoretical streams in the country these days is "Russian Orthodox", "Christian psychology"
(e.g., http://dusha-orthodox.ru/) that is harboured even under the auspices of
Department of General Psychology of Moscow State University (Lomonosov)?

For nice self-explanatory pics from the Faculty of Psy at MSU see http://psychosoft.ru/2010-11-22/index.htm or

http://psychosoft.ru/2011-02-07/ . For instance this picture -- http://psychosoft.ru/2011-01-26/_DSC4724.jpg -- features

the Dean of the Faculty of Psychology someone Yurii Zinchenko (standing, no relation with either Vladimir or Piotr Zinchenko

whatsoever), the Head of the Department of General Psychology B. Bratus' (sitting civilian, beside, a former student

of Zeigarnik, believe it or not) and a representative of Russian Orthodox Church, in presidium. What a "troika", indeed! :)

Bratus' speaking in a somewhat different setting, here: http://damian.ru/news/2011-01-06/DSC_A053.jpg

Curious transformation of the formerly allegedly Marxist/progressivist/futurist/activist scholarship, right?

As to Vygotksiana in Russia, in my humble opinion, nobody cares about actual scholarship of the kind despite the fact that

Vygotsky remains the most quoted Russian psychologist in contemporary Russia and abroad. A couple of guys are doing

really nice job, for instance, Zavershneva, whose works were featured in already two special issues of the

Journal of Russian and East European Psychology, in 2010 and 2012. Some bits and pieces, here and there, but that's basically it.

On Zavershneva, overview of her research, bibliography of published works and the links to some of these works see

http://psyhistorik.livejournal.com/70476.html

There is also RGGU headed by the heirs and descendants of Vygotsky who disseminate the propagandist "Vygotsky cult"--
incredibly shallow and uncritical--that has virtually nothing to do with scholarship. For a nice discussion of the phenomenon,

in Russian, see http://exxistencia.livejournal.com/1101.html and http://psyhistorik.livejournal.com/88483.html

AY