[xmca] FW: Call for papers Special issue: Negotiations of Gender in Early Childhood Settings

THIS IS A FORWARDED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE SENDER. READ THE MESSAGE CAREFULLY FOR INFORMATION ON THE ORIGINAL SENDER

From: Anette Hellman <anette.hellman@ped.gu.se<mailto:anette.hellman@ped.gu.se>>

Call for papers Special issue: Negotiations of Gender in Early Childhood Settings

The International Journal of Early Childhood invites researchers with different theoretical and methodological perspectives to contribute to a special issue on children's negotiations of gender and normality in early childhood education. This is in order to develop an international research-based conversation on this topic. We welcome researchers from different geographical areas to contribute to this special issue.

In the last two decades, gender research has used different theoretical perspectives and different methodological approaches to explore how gender is an organizing principle in early childhood contexts (Thurén, 1999; Thorne, 1993). Research studies have also stressed the importance of analyzing gender in relation to other societal power structures including age, class, religion, ethnicity, and sexuality (Thorne, 1993; Lykke, 1999). However, there are many questions that still need to be addressed through research. In this issue, we want to present new research that investigates the negotiations in which young children engage in relation to 'boyishness' and 'girlishness' in early childhood settings. We look forward to receiving contributions that empirically investigate how children negotiate and react to issues of gender in early childhood settings. Of particular interest for this issue are papers that use intersectional and contextual analyses of gender among young children so as to deepen understanding of gender order.

Central questions to be developed in this special issue on gender and normality are:
How can negotiations around gender be described and analyzed within early childhood education?
When, where and by whom are gender relations produced?
When, where and by whom are gender relations (re)negotiated and challenged?

We look forward to receiving your abstract of 400 to 500 words, not later than 1st February 2013. Abstracts should be sent to the editors responsible for this special issue: Anette Hellman anette.hellman@ped.gu.se<mailto:anette.hellman@ped.gu.se> and Mia Heikkilä, mia@miaheikkila.se<mailto:mia@miaheikkila.se>