RE: [xmca] vygotsky and the revolution

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v03/n15/seamus-heaney/osip-and-nadezhda-mandelstam
a bit of context for the poet--Nedezjda was his widow (see Leif's comments below).

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Leif Strandberg
Sent: Tuesday, December 25, 2012 5:21 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] vygotsky and the revolution

Hi,

I learned a lot of the intellectual context in USSR, 1920-1936 when reading Nadezjda Mandelsjtam's Stalins Miracle (where she mentions Vygotskij!), and Aleksandr Etkind's An Impossible Passion (I don not know the correct English title), where you can read how the Pedalogy- Movement was interrelated to the political life (e.g. Krupskaja, Kalinin, Vysinskij)... very interesting (and scary).
Boris Pasternak's (a friend of LSV) Doctor Zjivago also provides a feeling of the context and the situation for the intellectuals during those years.

Yes, USSR/Russia was/is an Ocean... and what happens in Moscow can be very different from what takes place in Samarkand (and that was problematic in Luria's Uzbeki-journey)

Leif
Sweden