Re: [xmca] http://marxismocritico.com/category/psicologia-marxista/

Hi Dear Chuck
1. I said Vygotsky not 'someone' ; hope I've not been lying !
2. The conditions of slaves and slave-owners's personal and social experiences were also 'material' ; their Gods were also material but the method they used to express their intentions was 'idealistic' ; no doubt at each era all along the path of 'idealism' , there was another path of 'materialism' .
3. The same Vygotsky who innovated 'sign' for psychical activities as 'tool' had done for 'labour' , believes in distinguishing two lines of scientific research : materialistic vs. idealistic and is quite insistent on that .
4. There is a 'hiararchy' between 'perceptions' , 'actions' , 'articulations' .
5. I see no necessary relationship (maybe vygotsky doesn't either) between the 'above' and 'publicly circulated and internally reconfigured language . Any language could have many different things behind it . Let's further read Vygotsky's formation of concepts , etc.
6. What is that Vygotsky posits ?

The split of the dual analytical method
into a phenomenological and an inductive-analytical one leads us to the
ultimate points upon which the bifurcation of the two psychologies rests –
their epistemological premises. I attach great importance to this distinction,
see it as the crown and center of the whole analysis, and at the same time for me
it is now as obvious as a simple scale. Phenomenology (descriptive psychology)
proceeds from a radical distinction between physical nature and mental being.
In nature we distinguish phenomena in being. “In other words, in the mental
sphere there is no distinction between phenomenon [Erscheinung] and
being [Sein], and while nature is existence [Dasein] which
manifests itself in the phenomena,” this cannot be asserted about mental being
(Husserl, 1910). Here phenomenon
and being coincide. It is difficult to give a more precise formulation of
psychological idealism. And this is the epistemological formula of
psychological materialism: “The difference between thinking and being has not been destroyed in psychology.
Even concerning thinking one must distinguish the thinking of thinking and the
thinking as such” [Feuerbach]. The
whole debate is in these two formulas.

We must be able to state the
epistemological problem for
the mind as well and to
find the distinction between being and thinking, as materialism teaches us to
do in the theory of knowledge of the external world. The acceptance of a
radical difference between the mind and physical nature conceals the
identification of phenomenon and being,
mind and matter, within psychology,
the solution of the antinomy by removing one part – matter – in psychological
knowledge. This is Husserl’s idealism of the purest water. Feuerbach’s whole
materialism is expressed in the distinction of phenomenon and being within
psychology and in the acceptance of being as the real object of study.

When one mixes up the
epistemological problem with the ontological one by introducing into
psychology not the whole argumentation but its final results, this leads to the
distortion of both. In Russia the
subjective is identified with the mental and later it is proved that the mental
cannot be objective. Epistemological consciousness as part of the antinomy
“subject-object” is confused with empirical, psychological consciousness and
then it is asserted that consciousness cannot be material, that to assume this
would be Machism. And as a result one ends up with neoplatonism, in the sense
of infallible essences for which being and phenomenon coincide. They flee from
idealism only to plunge into it headlong. They dread the identification of
being with consciousness more than anything else and end up in psychology with
their perfectly Husserlian identification. We must not mix up the relation
between subject and object with the relation between mind and body, as Høffding
[1908] splendidly explains. The distinction between mind [Geist] and matter is a
distinction in the content of our knowledge. But the distinction between
subject and object manifests itself independently from the content of our
knowledge.

This is not the place to
give both problems a precise demarcation and basis in materialistic psychology,
but to indicate the possibility of two solutions, the boundary between idealism
and materialism, the existence of a materialistic formula. For distinction,
distinction to the very end, is psychology’s task today. After all, many “Marxists” are not
able to indicate the difference between theirs and an idealistic theory of
psychological knowledge, because it does not exist. Following Spinoza,
we have compared our science to a mortally ill patient who looks for an
unreliable medicine. Now we see that it is only the surgeon’s knife which can
save the situation. A bloody operation is immanent. Many textbooks we will have
to rend in twain, like the veil in the temple [58], many phrases will lose
their head or legs, other theories will be slit in the belly. We are only
interested in the border, the line of the rupture, the line which will be described
by the future knife.

Best
Haydi