Re: [xmca] http://marxismocritico.com/category/psicologia-marxista/

Larry asks, in relation to a fragment from John Shotter's writings:

On 14 Dec 2012, at 06:15, Larry Purss wrote:

> THIS fragment, as I read it, suggests our modern conceptions of
> *mind* as being geographically located *in our heads* is as much as
> *metaphysical picture* as the god-centered universe was to Medieval
> consciousness.
>

> I wonder if others read this fragment differently??

I share Larry's reading.  Here are some implications of this reading I've been exploring in relation to:

"And it is the unique transitory understandings (that also give us a sense of ‘where they stand’ in relation to us), as well as the unique action guiding anticipations (that also give us a sense of ‘where they might go next’ in relation to us). That can only arise in our spontaneously responsive, dialogically-structured relations with another person – that can give us that possibility of being that the voice (or of introducing another voice) that calls to them: “become what you are? become in reality what ideally you are in design?”  "(p. 168).
Shotter, J. (2008) Conversational Realities Revisited: Life, Language, Body and World. Ohio: Taos Institute Publications.

In supervising Keith Kinsella's doctorate on:
Revealing what is 'tacit/rationally-invisible/in the background': an online coaching pedagogy for developing improved leadership practice through 'presencing empathetic responsiveness'

at:

http://www.actionresearch.net/living/keithkinsella.shtml

(Keith graduated from the University of Bath last Wednesday)

I've been exploring with Keith some implications of John Shotter's ideas about our 'spontaneously responsive, dialogically-structured relations with another person'. Some of these implications have focused on the use of multi-media narratives to communicate meanings of embodied expressions of energy-flowing values that cannot be communicated through printed-text based media (such as this e-mail) on their own.

On pages 5-7 of the notes for a workshop presentation at the British Psychological Society Special Group in Coaching Psychology, on the 7th December at http://www.actionresearch.net/writings/jack/jwbps031212.pdf , I included two video clips from my own professional practice with a narrative to highlight the importance of visual data for communicating energy-flowing values - I think that this is particularly significant for communicating meanings of embodied expressions of 'presenting empathetic responsiveness' and for explaining influences in learning of 'spontaneously, dialogically-structured relations with another person'.

I've been exploring the implications of the above ideas in enquiries of the kind, 'How do I improve this process of education here?' whilst bearing Wittgenstein's points in mind:
Wittgenstein, L.  (1958) Philosophical Investigations.   Oxford; Basil Blackwell.

 410. "I" is not the name of a person, nor "here" of a place, and

"this" is not a name. But they are connected with names. Names are

explained by means of them. It is also true that it is characteristic of

physics not to use these words.

You can access these explorations at http://www.actionresearch.net

Love Jack.

When Martin Dobson, a colleague, died in 2002 the last thing he said to me
was 'Give my Love to the Department'. In the 20 years I'd worked with
Martin it was his loving warmth of humanity that I recall with great life
affirming pleasure and I'm hoping that in Love Jack we can share this
value of common humanity.

Jack Whitehead , Adjunct Professor, Liverpool Hope University, UK.

Honorary Research Fellow, University of Cumbria

Life-time member of OMNIBUS (All Bath University Staff).

web-site http://www.actionresearch.net with email address.