Re: [xmca] Re: A Failure of Communication

Mike,

I was thinking the same thing and went back to check the date of the Reflex
Arc since I thought it was a later piece and not in Dewey's "Hegel years"
(as described by these authors), and thus evidence of Hegelian influence
showing through in Dewey's later years. But it turns out it was published
in 1896. That would put it squarely in the early part of Dewey's Hegel
years (or at least in the early part of his transition). But there is still
plenty else in Dewey's later work that suggests Hegelian (and Marxian)
influences.

Many thanks to Robert for making these connections.

And Robert, I agree, dialectical thinking sounds like Vygotsky too!

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Anthropology