Re: [xmca] Abstract to Concrete

Hi Christine

Thanks for responding and interweaving so many threads from our previous
chats. Christine, as I read your response I was trying to find the central
theme weaving through your response.
You highlighted a fragment of my commentary as the place from which to join
in conversation. I was playing with notions of *rhythm* and *recurrence* as
a metaphor of *hearing* and *musical* composition which recurs in patterns
BUT with each NEW occurence there is a slight variation on the recurring
pattern [which therefore is NOT an identical repetition of the pattern but
rather an expanding recurrence.

Christine, you responded with questioning *institutional CONTESTS of
recognition* and how this *contest* implicates notions of *alterity*
You were illuminating the quality of *othering the other* in scholarly
writing as the *norm*[an unquestioned good or *ought*] as a dis-position
and academic standard.

Christine, you then brought me back to our conversations on notions of
*witnessing* or *hearing the other into voice* as an ethically different
understanding of *recognition* that is NOT *mutual recognition* which
focuses more on *fairness* and *equality* as an ideal type.

You then mentioned Levinas key understanding of Levinas which emphasizes
the ethical dis-position comes BEFORE epistemology or ontology.. In his
phrase *face of the other* is the UNIQUE *other* who if categorized [pigeon
holed] is totalized.
Christine, you then link *face of the other* with *dialogical expression*
and a PARTICULAR quality of relations.
Next, you caution that THIS quality of witnessing *the face of the other*
may be lost in written text or shifted to a generalizable *everyman*

In the next paragraph you return to *current writing* practices which
illustrate *unfolding* relations through a standard of *distancing* and
inventing the *untouchable other* or the *intelligent reader* [as a type of
reader]. This *intelligent reader* is addressing or answering no UNIQUE
person as a particular living embodied person.  In other words this
distancing looses the sense of *co-presence*
Phrases such as *joining existing institutions* as expressions express this
distancing position.
Christine, you then shift to focusing on *passion* [duende] ARISING in
flamenco, an origination of deepening passionate feeling FROM which
performance springs [as source]
This source in the passions, a moment of duende, BRINGS into consciousness
potentialities felt, experienced, and then "theorized" within the
performing *conditions*

Christine, you then shift to *othering* in the English essay form which
RELIES on the quality of separation of audience through the *construction*
of a particular type of reader - *the intelligent informed reader*.

In your final turn you remembered our earlier conversations on *plurality*
of forms of living. Plurality is NOT relative, or random. Plurality is
multiple [discourses, traditions, genres, EACH constituted within effective
history. Pluralism is NOT looking for universal truths, nor is it relative.
It is multiple and contrasting VALUES or NORMS which may be brought into
dialogue but NEVER made *equal*
Your final reference was to al-andulus which I *imagine* as a historical
moment when pluralism was honoured.

Christine, I may have mis-read or mis-understood some particular points but
I hope I captured the theme I saw moving through your commentary.

I would like to pause here with a comment Huw made in response to the
concept of rhetoric grounded at its source within reading and readers.
The history and development of *reading* and our conscious understanding of
reading as a phenomena I heard in your response describing the distanced
intelligent scholarly reader.

*Reading RESPONSE theory* explores the PLURALITY of ways of reading.
I wonder if a new way of reading *as conversational* and *as dialogical*
may be developing to *see through* the intelligent scholarly reader who
is distancing from others [as a particular historically constituted  kind
or norm of reading]
As we explore the plurality of norms of reading [and the value
presuppositions within each type of reader] we may be developing a new
understanding of developmental psychology.

Christine, I considered writing this off line as a more private response,
but I am questioning the boundaries between private and public discourse
and the values and presuppositions embedded in these fuzzy boundaries.

Christine, thanks for this response and opportunity for a chat.

Larry