RE: [xmca] Abstract to Concrete

Can we have the whole article?

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Andy Blunden
Sent: Thu 11/15/2012 6:24 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Abstract to Concrete

Taylor & Francis allows xmca only discuss one article per issue, but I
see no reason why we couldn't discuss this excerpt from Engestrom's
paper. It concerns "rising from the abstract to the concrete," which we
were recently discussing, but without resolution.

--------------------------

Ascending from the abstract to the concrete is achieved through specific
epistemic or learning actions. Together these actions form an expansive
cycle or spiral. An ideal-typical sequence of epistemic actions in
ascending from the abstract to the concrete may be described as follows:

.         The first action is that of questioning, criticizing, or
rejecting some aspects of the accepted practice and existing wisdom. For
the sake of simplicity, we will call this action questioning.

.         The second action is that of analyzing the situation. Analysis
involves mental, discursive or practical transformation of the situation
in order to find out origins and explanatory mechanisms.

.         The third action is that of modeling a new explanatory
relationship in some publicly observable and transmittable medium. This
means constructing an explicit, simplified model of the new idea, a germ
cell, that explains the problematic situation and offers a perspective
for resolving and transforming it.

.         The fourth action is that of examining the model, running,
operating, and experimenting on it in order to fully grasp its dynamics,
potentials, and limitations.

.         The fifth action is that of implementing the model,
concretizing it by means of practical applications, enrichments, and
conceptual extensions.

.         The sixth and seventh actions are those of reflecting on and
evaluating the process and consolidating its outcomes into a new stable
form of practice.

MCA 19(1) pp. 288-289.

Andy