From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
Date: Monday, November 12, 2012 6:27 pm
Subject: Re: Fwd: [xmca] A Failure of Communication
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

I'm sorry for being so obscure, Chuck. I am still working on how to explain my position. But all I am proposing is my reading of Vygotsky on Concepts as set out in "Thinking and Speech." Nothing more. I certainly do not think concepts are "philosophic phantasms," although this is the most common response to discovery of the kind of points I am raising: "Well, if concepts are not like this, then they must be philosophic phantasms and not worth chasing after."

I am fine with locating yourself in this world in a pragmatist way, etc., etc. I do nothing different. Though I am not sure what you mean by "communal" and other allusions to "community." Maybe my video

https://vimeo.com/groups/129320/videos/35819238

explains it better. Yes, I think there is a "more grounded approach,"
though those are not words of mine. I am certainly not trying to "deal with concepts in an abstract way," in fact that is a fair definition of what I am opposing.

Andy
Charles Bazerman wrote:
Andy, I am not sure I see what you are driving at, and thus I do not know how to continue the discussion. I know you have written and just published a book on concepts, but I have not read it. Are you suggesting that there is a more grounded approach to concepts or that concepts dissolve and that we should not chase after them as philosophic phantasms? I am trying to deal with concepts not in an abstract philosophic way
but in a pragmatist way based on the social circulation of terms and their use in communal practices and then on what evidence we can glean about internal phenomena--and as I say in the essay, my primary activity system and project as a teacher of writing has to do with helping people engage with public circulation of words which people find of value in their endeavors and in their personal understanding of the world which they act within. To that task I bring the resources of Vygotsky and activity theory. I do not claim an epistemic position outside those realms of practice. So what are you trying to persuade me and others of, or what difficulty in my pursuit of my practices within my activity systems do you want me to attend to?
Once I have better bearings of the intersection of our interests, I may be able to say something more useful.
Chuck