Re: [xmca] Since some people asked

Joe
Thanks for tracing this historical development.
I looked up your article "Werner's Relevence for Contemporary Developmental
Psychology" written in 1992. I was intrigued by the section
titled "Development as Heuristic, Not as Phenomenon" on page 560. This
section seems to tie in with the notion of *analysis into units* in your
comment:

My understanding of the Galileoan mode is that the issue is not placing
things in conceptual categories but is in a complexly structured analysis
of conditions, influences, causes, involved in any event, etc.. The
analysis didn't look for "types" - it looked for conditions. In this sense
the "unit" of analysis, if there is such, is the result of this analytic
enterprise and not its beginning.

Hence, "analysis into units."

Exploring the idea of *types* or *units* as the process of *entification*.
Thus, as you wrote in your article, "rather than being able to start with
language, cognition, logic, or whatever, Werner started with the notion of
an organism"

Joe, in your article you further elaborated the complexity of Werner's
approach by stating that Werner,

"... doubles the enquiry  so that one must not only account for the laws of
the entity as they are proposed within theories, but one must also account
for the processes of "entification" that form  the entities into the things
that are then studied.
This fact alone makes Werner easily fated for extinction, because this way
of theorizing, while perhaps suitable for philosophical and LITERARY
journals, is at variance with the normal practices of developmental
practices. In normal practice, researchers address themselves to a
literature by following some topic and then aligning various theories and
research findings with respect to that topic.  Theoretical ideas must be
ideas of sufficient concreteness that they can themselves be treated as the
KIND of higher order topics that can allow a literature to be organized
around them"

Joe, I was fascinated with this aspect of your article and read
[understood]this section as perceiving KINDS of topics as particular
"genres" around which a literature "develops".
Thanks for sharing your personal history

Larry