Re: [xmca] Deferred Risk?

Thanks Sonja, thanks Ron.
I really am not interested in the "evolutionary" perspective, Sonja. Altogether it is an fascinating and complex topic, risk taking, with very many different aspects. Ron's "Cultural Cognition Project" looks very interesting, because of the breadth of aspects it takes up, and its focus on culture. But I am really looking very specifically for evidence of how the temporal displacement of the "pay-back" affects perception of the risk. That specific factor. It is something which is quite amenable, I would have thought, to psycho-sociological investigation.

Andy

Sonja Baumer wrote:
Andy,
I do not know about "deferred risk", but there has been a plenty of research on "risk taking" among clinical psychologists, often linking it to certain mental disorders or certain age groups. Besides looking on risk taking among certain age groups (adolescents, young adults and elderly), the current emphasis seems to be on domain specific risks (e.g., sex, finances, competition, etc) . You may also like the following work on the evolutionary perspective on risk-taking http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGcQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epjournal.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fep05555568.pdf&ei=xc6IUP6aB4jPiwLN-4G4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFpGDsdZjx-Yy1v1K3glaLScRU7kw <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&ved=0CGcQFjAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.epjournal.net%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fep05555568.pdf&ei=xc6IUP6aB4jPiwLN-4G4Dw&usg=AFQjCNFpGDsdZjx-Yy1v1K3glaLScRU7kw> The attempt there is to frame risk-taking behaviors with evolutionary valid domains such as between-group competition, within group competition, allocation of resources, mating etc.

Sonja