Re: [xmca] Re: microgenesis?

I was just writing my half-piece, when yours came in, Mike.  If you go
off-line cc me too, please.

Actually, I think this is material that is central (and am busy
studying/thinking about it).  I'd be rather intrigued to hear how this
topic is not relevant to other XMCAers.

My 1/2 piece:

I think the neoformation comprises the starting point for distinguishing
development and learning.  If one wanted to treat "microdevelopment" as a
class of development, rather than a contributing (learning) step towards
development, then microdevelopment would need to make clear this occurrence.

Our 17 month year old went through quite a quick transformation of
competently completing a wooden jigsaw-like puzzle recently (over a period
of a week).  From my observations, I think the key difference was practice
at looking at photographic pictures and recognising corresponding similar
objects.  The week following a confused and much assisted attempt at the
puzzles, he sat me down and completed the puzzle five times over
unassisted.  What I noticed is that he was looking much more at the edges
of the pieces and scanning the slots, in addition to a memory for where
they belong.  I think this kind of looking entailed a new way of completing
the task.  And indeed his confidence in the task transformed his whole
approach to it -- no more hiding of those frustrating pieces...

I could think of alternative situations in which a learning act does not
really assist with new set of relations between functions, but rather a
further bedding down of a particular behaviour.  But then there are many
social occasions in which a refined technical expertise is required that,
having passed a threshold of acceptance, will then support further
development.

The problem of ages seems, from my current readings, to be a bit weak.
Whilst disavowing Piagetian stages it does seem to precariously follow
along similar lines.  The notion of culturally influenced/predicated ages
seems in general fine to me, but again I would expect more than this, I
think that for development in its fullness to occur we would need to be
thinking about the continual demands upon the agent and their change in the
object of their activity -- a certain degree of "uprooting", of going
beyond comfort zones.

Huw