[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[xmca] Re: Shocking treatment of Professor Ian Parker at Gaskell MMU Manchester, UK
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [xmca] Re: Shocking treatment of Professor Ian Parker at Gaskell MMU Manchester, UK
- From: Julian Williams <email@example.com>
- Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 16:26:08 +0000
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thread-index: Ac2mK3mjOH7306Y8SISBsKn2a05r2QAAzHJQAAKal2AAAEpysA==
- Thread-topic: Shocking treatment of Professor Ian Parker at Gaskell MMU Manchester, UK
Dear xmca list
I picked up news of Ian Parker's suspension below (email to UCU union members at MMU): this is now the second UCU union rep under threat at MMU, and you may have seen emails and petitions circulating about Christine Vie (UCU exec member) who was made redundant by MMU.
Ian Parker has an outstanding reputation as a scholar in critical psychology and is highly regarded by students and colleagues: I urge you to consult the various links here and offer him support via the online petitions etc.
This trend seems to be growing in UK academe and I hope xmca will regard it as within its remit to act as conduit for campaigns like this.
Dear UCU members
MMU's summary suspension last week of Professor Ian Parker, our Gaskell UCU convenor, has brought a howl of protest from the international academic community*.
We too are outraged that our UCU colleague has been so shockingly mistreated**. Ian sought to support his colleagues at Gaskell by seeking transparency in workloads and conditions.
PLEASE COME TO THE MEETINGS TOMORROW OR THURSDAY TO SUPPORT OUR UNION AND OUR REPRESENTATIVES:
All Saints site: Wednesday 10th October, 1pm - Manton 104
Didsbury site: Thursday 11th October - Behrens 0.4 - 12.30pm
*Ian's colleagues are mobilising: http://www.change.org/petitions/ian-parker-should-get-back-to-his-work
**The TUC is mobilising: http://www.manchestertuc.org/solidarity/1464-support-ian-parker-of-mmu-ucu.html
Ian's students are mobilising: http://www.bulliedacademics.blogspot.co.uk/
Ian's academic profile: http://www.rihsc.mmu.ac.uk/staff/profile.php?surname=Parker&name=Ian
Sent on behalf of the UCU branch committee.
"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "
xmca mailing list