Re: [xmca] Child Development in Film and Literature: Help!

How about "Phoebe in Wonderland"?

Review from the LA Times (2009) At first the young girl at the center of
"Phoebe in Wonderland" seems to have a life that is truly the stuff of
fairy tales, the happy dreamy ones. Where a birthday gift from her parents
is a magically wistful diorama of Alice in Wonderland, covered in lights
and jewels, handcrafted, not store bought, and just her cup of tea.
Phoebe, played with a bittersweetness by Elle Fanning in this overly
earnest and often difficult film, seems to be nothing more than a
delightfully inventive child who happens to have Wonderland all around her.
At home, her mother, Hillary, a darker and more tentative Felicity Huffman
than we're used to, is working on her thesis based on the Lewis Carroll
classic. Even the school play is on topic, with Phoebe soon cast as Alice,
happily tumbling into that surreal world of the Mad Hatter and the Queen of
Hearts, where up is down and nothing is ordinary.

Déana

On Tue, Sep 18, 2012 at 7:27 AM, Ageliki Nicolopoulou <agn3@lehigh.edu>wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Social Development (2011) by Ross Parke & Alison Clarke-Stewart provides a
> set of films per chapter that one can use. I would suggest to get an
> examination copy for this book as they have many many suggestions.
>
> Ageliki
>

> mike cole wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of teaching a course on the way the process of child
>> development
>> is represented in film and literature. Mostly I am aimed at fiction, but
>> classic studies
>> such as "7 up" would count, I guess, but the focus is on fiction. Just not
>> lecture on the topic.
>>
>> Frankenstein is on my list.
>> 400 Blows
>> South Park TV program