From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2012 8:51 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Understanding is no method but rather a form of communication

Peter,

This is one of the topics, and a point of disagreement, in the debate between Gadamer and Habermas. The question gets framed as whether one needs something more than the ability to participate in a community of practice in order to conduct research that is transformative, emancipatory. (Not all action research tries to do this, of course.) Gadamer argued that the potential for critique and change is immanent in the practices. Habermas argued that the researcher needs something more. He has changed his position on what exactly this is over the course of his career; his first proposal was that the researcher needs a theory of the distortions that exist in everyday practical activity in order to critique them and change them. I tend to think of it as a claim that a researcher needs something that few if any participants have - a sense of the whole.

Martin