Re: [xmca] Understanding is no method but rather a form of communication

Yes, it's a good and tricky question, and as I said Habermas changed his mind several times. I think one answer is that one could be *both* a member of the group *and* have a grasp of the whole, the latter provided by some kinds of instrument or technology or theorization. Another is that there could be a division of labor between participants, with members' know-how, and researcher, outside but with 'know-that' derived from prior research, or the research skills to generate the relevant knowledge.

Martin