Re: [xmca] Culture & Rationality

Hi Peter,

Help me figure this out, please. LSV emphasizes that writing requires specific kinds of conscious awareness that are necessary for speaking. The following are some rough notes on this. Would you say that they are true of both types of writing that you have described, or only one?

Written language is not simply a transcription of oral speech, it is something altogether more abstract. Writing not only abstracts from the sounds of speech, it also abstracts for the situation of spoken language. The language a child speaks is regulated by the dynamics of the situation, and directed towards a specific other person or people. Speech, for the school-aged child, has become automatic, spontaneous, and unconscious. Written language, in contrast, is communication without an interlocutor. We don’t usually write about the here and now, to someone who is present. We write for a reader who we may not even know, who will read our words in circumstances we cannot anticipate.

In learning to write, then, the school-age child learns a new kind of communication, one that is abstracted from the world around her. Writing deals not with words, but with representations of words. Writing lacks the music of speech, and the writer must make up for this lack with various grammatical and rhetorical devices. Writing is, for the school-age child (and for many adults), a deliberate, conscious process, one that involves making careful, considered decisions. The child must develop voluntary control of the basic elements (letters in the case of writing), of syntax, and semantics - whereas in the child’s everyday speech these have been mastered and have become unconscious, spontaneous, and automatic.

In short, the mastery of writing requires conscious awareness and voluntary control of various aspects of language. It might seem that in order to teach a child to write we would need to wait for these abilities to develop. But Vygotsky said no, these abilities develop during the process of learning to write; they have “an indissoluble internal link” with the teaching of writing.

Martin