Re: [xmca] Francois Cooren

Greg, here is a further description of the book. It seems to be the book
is putting into question a similar theme to Gadamer who suggests effective
history has its own agency [living text] and the *fusion* of understandings
modify [expand] BOTH horizons.  The text has its own agency.
Not sure if Gadamer is included in this book but the theme seems
fascinating [and a way to understand organizations]
The cost of the book is prohibitive but the theme is fascinating.
Larry

FROM THE PUBLISHER

What happens when people communicate or dialogue with each other? This is
the daunting question that this book proposes to address by starting from a
controversial hypothesis: What if human interactants were not the only ones
to be considered, paraphrasing Austin (1962), as 'doing things with words'?
That is, what if other 'things' could also be granted the status of agents
in a dialogical situation? "Action and Agency in Dialogue: Passion,
Incarnation, and Ventriloquism" proposes to explore this unique hypothesis
by mobilizing metaphorically the notion of ventriloquism. According to this
ventriloqual perspective, interactions are never purely local, but
dislocal, that is, they constantly mobilize figures (collectives,
principles, values, emotions, etc.) that incarnate themselves in people's
discussions. This highly original book, which develops the analytical,
practical and ethical dimensions of such a theoretical positioning, may be
of interest to communication scholars, linguists, sociologists,
conversation analysts, management and organizational scholars, as well as
philosophers interested in language, action and ethics.