[xmca] JOLLE@UGA 2013 Conference

THIS IS A FORWARDED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THE SENDER. READ THE MESSAGE CAREFULLY FOR INFORMATION ON THE ORIGINAL SENDER

http://jolle.coe.uga.edu/2013conference/
JOLLE@UGA 2013 Conference
Call for Participation
The University of Georgia
February 22-23, 2013
Register for the Conference<http://jolle.coe.uga.edu/event-registration-3/?ee=2>
Conference Theme: Activist Literacies: Inspire, Engage, Create, Transform

Literacy in the 21st century no longer refers only to reading and writing; rather, there is an increased emphasis on multiple, new and digital literacies. Our theme this year, "Activist Literacies: Inspire, Engage, Create, Transform" draws on this evolving nature of literacy with a particular focus on addressing issues of importance to schools and communities. This theme extends to multiple and multimodal literacies; arts-based, performance-based, and digital literacies; and broadening and connecting literacies across traditionally separated disciplines and borders. Activist literacies challenge the binary between high theory and practice by emphasizing participatory action and acknowledging a more dialogical relationship between theory and practice. We want to frame the inaugural JoLLE@UGA conference in a new way, one that is action-oriented, informed by research and practice, and also inventive and creative at its very core.

Keynote Speaker: Glynda Hull, University of California, Berkeley

Important Dates
October 1, 2012: Proposals must be submitted electronically by 11:59pm EST
November 15, 2012: Notification of all proposal review decisions will be sent out via email

Register for the Conference<http://jolle.coe.uga.edu/event-registration-3/?ee=2>
Proposal Guidelines

We invite practicing teachers, researchers, professors, community organizers, and students to explore the following: How are you engaging with literacy practices within your community? In what ways are you learning about literacies from schools, community organizers, students, teachers, or others? Rather than the traditional format of presenting papers, we encourage innovative proposals that involve participation and action on the part of attendees.

Types of Proposals

Inspire: In this session, we encourage artistic and artifactual examples (e.g., paintings, digital media, photographs, interactive theater, music) that inspire participants to think differently and conceive of a better and more just future. These artifacts will be displayed in a special exhibition space.

Create (1 .5 hours:) These workshop-style sessions are ideal outlets for creatives of all types, for example, leading participants through the production of a digital story. Hands-on creative experiences are definitely encouraged.

Engage (1 hour): These sessions are ideal for showcasing research, practitioner-focused studies, and discussions aimed at providing overarching and deeper insight. Session leaders might lead an interactive panel and engage the audience in an extended conversation.

Transform (1 hour): This is where ideas that work are shared, where change is happening now, and where the futures we imagine are already being created. For example, a practicing teacher might involve session participants in an innovative lesson. In these sessions, we move from ideas to action, from experimentation to implementation.

How to prepare a proposal

All proposals have three parts: a 10-word title, a 50-word abstract, and a 500-word session description. The title and abstract will appear in the Convention Program, but only the reviewers will see the session description.

In a separate Word document, please include the following information. Please send this document to jolle@uga.edu<mailto:jolle@uga.edu>.

1. List the following information for each presenter (no more than 5 presenters per session).

  *   First name
  *   Last name
  *   Institution
  *   Institution City
  *   Institution State
  *   Institution Country
  *   E-mail
  *   Consider this proposal for publication in JoLLE@UGA's special issue?
  *   We will be able to supply a limited number of slide projectors, etc. What A/V equipment would you like to request?

2. Title of Proposal (10 word maximum)

3. Abstract (50 words maximum)

4. Type of Session: (pick only one)

  *   Inspire

  *   Create

  *   Engage

  *   Transform

5. Session description (500 words maximum)

The session description should

  *   Not exceed 500 words.

  *   Have a clearly stated purpose and point of view

  *   Include how the session contributes to the conference theme

  *   Include supporting details and examples

  *   Contain evidence of current practices and/or research

If you have any questions about the proposal guidelines, please email us at jolle@uga.edu.