Re: [xmca] "Rising to the concrete"

oh, well...I believe ascending from abstract to concrete was one of the key
notions of Hegelian dialectics... Marx applied it to building his
economical theory. Lenin and Marx could not meet in person as when Marx
died Lenin was about 13 years old, if I am not mistaken... i am in Brazil
after the conference on international perspectives in cultural-historical
psychology and have been in continuous debate about marxism , leninism and
Vygotskianism, although I believe the last one is free from -ism nature
...:-)

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu> wrote:

> It's not Mike's phrase, it's Marx's phrase. Did Marx and Lenin know each
> other? Scholarship is still divided on that point.
>
> ; )
>
> Martin
> On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:22 PM, Greg Thompson wrote:
>
> > Still in between boxes but came across this quote from Lenin today:
> > ‘In order to understand it is necessary empirically to begin
> understanding,
> > study, to rise, from empiricism to the universal. In order to learn to
> swim
> > it is necessary to get into the
> > water<
> http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/1914/cons-logic/ch03.htm#LCW38_205
> >
> > ’.
> > (found at:
> > http://www.marxists.org/archive/pilling/works/capital/pilling3.htm)
> >
> > and it reminded me of one of mike's favorite statements "rising to the
> > concrete." Yet Mike's phrase appears quite different. So Mike, if you're
> > out there, does your "rising to the concrete" bear any significant
> relation
> > to Lenin's rising to the universal? They seem like very different
> concepts,
> > no?
> >
> > -greg
> >
> > --
> > Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
> > Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar
> > Laboratory of Comparative Human Cognition
> > Department of Communication
> > University of California, San Diego
> > http://ucsd.academia.edu/GregoryThompson

I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of it and
it responds. It is free. But it's not free to do what a violin string is
supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it, fix it in my violin and
tighten it until it is taut. Only then is it free to be a violin string.
-Sir Rabindranath Tagore