Re: [xmca] Stepping Aside

On 2 August 2012 04:30, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, at last the left over work of last academic year is almost entirely
> in bureaucratic
> past and summer has begun here at LCHC where we are collectively taking
> time off
> in various ways for a couple of weeks.
>
> July was so busy I forgot to pass along the news that this year I stepped
> aside as
> Director of LCHC and made the decision that following this academic year I
> will
> retire, retaining my connection with UCSD and, if it continues to exist,
> LCHC.

We heard some news of this from you, Mike, at the beginning of the month,
regarding a new director for LCHC -- Stefan Tanaka.

Although the news of your retirement is "new".

Personally, I've never been much of a fan of "news".  I'd rather hear 1
story of what is good and how it all relates, rather than 100 news bites.
Perhaps in fields of romantic science this is commonplace.

This is a good story.  Handing over the batten of responsibility is a
celebration of that material process we all study.  Something we all value,
that doesn't need loud applause or banner waving.  It speaks for itself.

Good stories have their uncertainties, without which it wouldn't be real or
good.  LCHC and its contributors will be heeding developments and looking
out for opportunities in helping it become an organ of internationally
distributed learning, exchange and development.  Indeed, just how the
institutions of UCSD, LCHC, MCA and Mike Cole all relate to each other is a
bit of a mystery.  Good luck to Stefan Tanaka and the support he will need
in maintaining and developing those relations.

As for the XMCA forum, I am pleased to hear you will still be goading us
all to re search the problems.  Will you be assuming your de facto role as
purveyor of Yet-Another-Appropriate-Paper-To-Read on each and every topic?
I do hope so.

Good luck LCHC.  Thank you, Mike.

Huw