Re: [xmca] the spirt and value(s) of CHAT research

One further comment giving Bird-David the opportunity to respond to the
commentaries.

The way in which Bird-David responded to the multiple commentaries
seems relevant for how to proceed with action research. For Bird-David  the
CENTRAL issue is one of authority - whether authority is given to
relational ways of knowing [how, where, when, how much, by whom, etc] in
particular cultures/times/places.

In other words, the question becomes:

What do people become attentive to?
 Not that one attention structure is more valid than another, but rather
which attention structure do we value and give authority in our lives.

Contemporary Western values of attentiveness focus on humans as
individualistic individuals and devalue other *attentional structures*

For Bird-David, it is important to explore these different *attentional
structures* which are the *object* of his inquiry. Each type of attention
structure develops a different type of social structure.

Returning to action research as a topic. I wonder where there are case
examples where alternative relational attention structures have developed
over an extended period of time and offer alternative living models.

 For example, in the Reggio Emilia region of Italy, a large scale
transformation in early child learning  focussing on  valuing  relational
attention structures in has developed and is transforming ways of learning
as relatedness.
If the central issue as Bird-David states is whether relational ways of
knowing are given AUTHORITY, then we could look to places/times where this
authority and the attentional structure of relatedness is central to the
developing project.

Martin, thanks for this article and your passion for questioning

Larry

PS here is a link to Reggio alliance if interested
http://www.reggioalliance.org/