Re: [xmca] the spirt and value(s) of CHAT research

I wanted to highlight a key point from the Bird-David article [on page S80]
which is a commentary by Alf Hornberg  responding to the Bird-David
article. Alf Hornberg wrote,

"If the presence or absence of 'relatedness' is a general existential
problem, Bird-David has adressed nothing less than the problem of modernity
itself. Yet there are few indications that the argument belongs within a
wider TRADITION than a rather parochial anthropological concern with
animism.  There is no mention for instance, of Weber's 'disenchantment',
Merleau-Ponty's 'being-in-the-world' or Buber's I-Thou relationship. These
are connections which deserve to be elaborated. It is curious how the
phenomenological jargon on 'being-in-the-world' has infiltrated ecological
anthropology [see also Ingold, 1996] without any mention of the sources of
these concepts [see Gouch, 1998]"

I don't share the notion that Bird-David is parochial, but I do see
Bird-David's theme of looking to ethnographic data, and Continental
Philosophy's theme of looking back at our own historical origins as asking
similar questions concerning the same general existential problem of how we
are connected to the world and earth.  There are multiple
disciplinary discourses responding to the existential themes of our
relatedness in the world. These shared questions are a response to a shared
sense of how WE are searching and re-searching for ways to orient to our
shared sense of world.

Larry