Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

Martin,
yes, a little adrift, but I think that we are still on the main point.

My take is that Michael sees inter-cultural critique as a perfectly
reasonable thing to do (as long as it is reasonable), and, following
Shweder, I'm raising some questions about it. That much, I think, we can
agree upon.

I'd add that I think Shweder sees a place for inter-cultural critique, but
he would caution that you need to be extremely super-duper intensely
cautious before doing so (and ideally one should take the care of an
anthropologist in learning about the practices to be critiqued - these
aren't decisions to be made prima facie).

And yes, as David Ki points out, even the very definition of who is in and
who is out is a question that is bounded by culture.

Okay, one more thing to add, also following Shweder, I like the project of
imagining a kind of "meta-culture" of universal principles (not unlike the
UN's principles of human rights), but I also would like us to recognize
that this has to involve more than just a bunch of people sitting in a room
together and deciding what sounds like universal human rights. All the
worse if these people are all Westerners and/or Western-educated.

Shweder actually has proposed a set of universal principles. It's just
that, to my mind, these tend to be rather tautological and therefore seem a
bit empty (can't recall exactly, but one of these was something like "don't
do bad things to good people").

Thorny questions indeed. (and I feel a little more like James' squirrel
chasing round the tree than Alice heading down a rabbit hole into an
alternate universe...).

Back to AERA submissions.
-greg