From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Larry Purss
Sent: Sat 7/14/2012 1:42 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Lave in mca

Good morning Monica

the theme you are exploring of voice and "tone" of voice expressed in the
1st person, 2nd person, or  3rd person is I believe a central aspect of
exploring action research and the understandings arrived at through these
various uses of voice.

You wrote,

 My question seemed straightforward. "What did you learn?" But the
to point to a conception of learning that Lave (p. 161) characterizes as
"academic, conventional theoretical assumptions about learning and
knowing", something that revolutionizing research ought to resist:

I would like to highlight this phrase,
THE RESPONSES I GOT pointed to a PARTICULAR conception of learning [and I
would add a PARTICULAR conception of psychology]

So as I read your response the issue of *tone* of voice and the locus of
where that voice is expressed seems central to our discussion.

Monica, you next highlighted Jean Lave's 5 specific points which she is
asking us to consider when doing research in the field.

 *Revolutionizing* research ought to resist:

1. A concept of individual, internal mental exercise.
2. Only ever produced as a result of typical bureaucratic, institutional
arrangements and trajectories of schooling.
3. Produced in particular through teaching, viewed as a prerequisite for
learning.
4. Something that can only be studied from a third-person perspective, thus
producing accounts of learning only as something done to others.
5. Knowledge (viewed as a complex elaboration of information...) is the
purpose, content, and result of what life and learning are all about.

I would like to add another consideration to our understanding of the term
"practice".  I got this idea from Vincent Colapietro who got the idea from
readingJohn McDermott and Max H. Fisch.  Vincent is exploring the history
of pragmatism as an approach to understanding practice.

Vincent, John, and Max suggest that the notion of practice and practical
 today have two very different meanings emerging from the origins of this
word DERIVED from Greece and Rome.  This distinction may have significance
for how we currently understand the notion of "practice"

The Greek term  PRAGMA:  meaning "action, deed, behavior, practice, affair,
pursuit, occupation, business, going concern". The Greek is, or may be
 PROSpective

The Latin term FACTUM: emphasizes the completed actuality, the pastness, of
the deed. The Latin is RETROspective

Vincent, John, and Max, see the Greek formula has many advantages over the
Latin.  The Greek meaning explores an action still in the course or not yet
begun and even includes conduct that would be conducted and conditions that
may never arise.  The Greek leaves room for possibility and generality.
Practice as  FACTUM suggests a SINGLE question or problem. Practice as
 PRAGMA suggests a tngled interweaving cluster of issues and events.

Psychology as a tradition and discipline had its origins in Europe in the
epoch from 1870 to 1930.  This was the time when science was in the
ascendency and the pursuit of FACTUM as a POSITIVE science was the way to
establish legitimacy. PRACTICE and the practical as psychological notions
also were influenced by the prejudice of positive science attempting to
separate from philosophy and theology and literature.

The distinct *tone* of voice which becomes ascendant with this privleging
of positive science as the ideal for psychology is the 3rd person voice.
Monica,
As I read Jean Lave's article and read your response the issue of *tone* of
voice and 1st person, 2nd person, and 3rd person voices [and which is
legitimate] was circling in the background.

Larry

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:17 AM, monica.hansen <
monica.hansen@vandals.uidaho.edu> wrote:

> First, I detached the tail.
>
> I have started a response to practically every post on Lave's article, but
> I have a 15 minute limit on the amount of time I can spend reading and
> responding to the listserve and so I never reached conclusion on any of the
> other post. (I learned in a professional development workshop earlier this
> year that in order to even have the opportunity to apply for a tenure-track
> position in order to make tenure, I am going to have to learn to say "no"
> to pretty much every kind of social activity that might keep me from my
> academic writing, so I am trying to practice limiting myself.)
>
> Of course, David K. makes a very good point about the amount of reading
> required to participate intelligently. That too might be a distraction.
>
> I would also like to respectfully acknowledge the posts made by others who
> are feeling the pressure and responsibility of their roles in academia.
>
> Lave sets forth several examples of practical revolutionizing research as
> "possibilities" (p. 161). She chooses deliberately examples of research
> about learning that lie outside of "institutional arrangements".
>
> As an educational researcher, I work within the institutional arrangements
> at multiple levels and so I will draw my examples from my experience. I
> will simultaneously draw on my first person perspective, my second person,
> and my third person perspective. While this may not seem like an example,
> of revolutionizing practice at first read, I have learned that the scale of
> what changes the relations and activities between people is often very
> small and might seem insubstantial if compared to larger, more socially
> public display of political protest and reform.
>
> Here are two short examples:
>
>         In a wonderful service-learning project done at a public
> elementary school as collaboration between students, teachers, and faculty
> from the university and their pre-service teachers, I interviewed
> elementary students and asked them to tell me what they learned and how
> they learned it on the site where they constructed an outdoor, living
> history museum. The interviews were very fun. I walked around with my
> handheld digital recorder and the students pointed and gestured. They
> happily  recalled details from their experience. They were clearly
> enthusiastic about the project and their contributions. On the last day of
> the project, it began to rain and the teachers considered keeping the
> students inside so they wouldn't have to sit in their desks through the
> remainder of the day wearing wet clothes. The students protested, not want
> to miss a day of labor on the project (and I mean labor--they were raking
> up pine needles by the truckload, clearing leaves and brush, painting,
> carrying wood and logs, etc.).
>         One of the students, I interviewed the day before, after giving a
> lengthy and enthusiastic report of his activities, paused, after I prompted
> [...]

<<winmail.dat>>