Re: [xmca] Lave in mca

Further reflections on Lave's question
"What does it mean to be a researcher within the cultural-historical
tradition.
Calopietro, asking an analogous question,
"What does it mean to be a philosopher and work within this tradition?"

offers this answer,

"though the insistently reflexive character of this question can,
especially in an academic or institutional setting, work toward rendering
philosophy [research] an ever more abstracted and insular metareflection on
a distinctive genre of human reflection.  The counterbalance to this
tendency is the RESOLVE to recollect that the question of what it means to
be a philosopher [researcher] is inseparable from that of how to live one's
life and, thus, how to position oneself in a world of conflict and risk.
Temporality entails transcience, just as loss and destruction impose the
tasks of AMELIORATION and REPARATION.  In a world wherein everything is
transient and PRECARIOUS, also one wherein much lies in ruins and much else
gives signs of decay and even implosion, the task of philosophers
[researchers] cannot be oriented principally to understanding their OWN
WORK; it must be ordained to protecting and repairing THEIR world(s).

Reading Colapietro I had the impression he was composing an answer to
Lave's question,

"What does it mean to be a researcher within the cultural-historical
tradition"

Larry