Re: [xmca] Response to Rose, Gutierrez, Grubb and Goldrick-Rab

At first I wanted to apologise to Helena for dumping my book review on top of Helena's commentary, but then I thought: "no! the two pieces go perfectly together!" and I would recommend they be read as a pair.

I really liked Mike Rose's original talk, but when I read Helena's commentary it "blew my mind" (as we used to say). A copy should be handed to every education graduate.

Andy

Helena Worthen wrote:
Hello --
This is the response that I wrote to the MCA article that included Mike Rose's AERA talk on problems with vocational education plus responses from Norton Grubb, Kris Gutierrez, and Sara Goldrick-Rab.  It will be in the current issue, so I hear.  It sags a bit in the middle but basically it gets the point across. I would be interested in reactions.

Thanks  -- Helena

Helena Worthen
helena.worthen@berkeley.edu
21 San Mateo Road
Berkeley, CA 94707
Visiting Scholar, UCB Center for Labor Research and Education
510-828-2745