From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of Larry Purss
Sent: Mon 7/23/2012 9:39 PM
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

Mike

Your comment,
To begin with, scientifically guided/constrained action is always only a
part of culturally organized human activity.

I want to amplify THIS awareness that science is only one particular aspect
of culture which is very useful for bringing objective type knowledge to
the conversation. However, it is when we ask science to extend into aspects
of organized activity which require other forms of inquiry or understanding
where our mythologizing science AS the totality of world develops *stances*
or *attitudes* or *dispositions* or *styles* of human activity which.are
totalizing
Michael, for *intra*-cultural critique, which I agree is critical [and a
central aspect of education] bringing to conscious AWARENESS the
understanding that  science is a particular way of  composing explanations
DERIVED from the historically embedded cultural world-view Gadamer's
horizon of understanding] gives science a place at the conversation without
science totalizing the conversation as a quest for certainty.

It seems the exploration of effective history is a particular way of
developing intra-cultural conversdations.

Larry

<<winmail.dat>>